Tuesday 25 September 2012

Returning Home & A Bit of Monkey Business


I'm not sure I knew what to expect after nearly 25 years away. South Africa has gone through so many changes I'm pretty sure my parents weren't sure what to expect either! It all seems to have a sense of familiarity to them but is probably more like trying to remember a dream the morning after rather than returning home. A quarter of a century is a long time after all!

After a monster of a 'red-eye' flight to Johannesburg (via Doha!) we spent the day looking at all the places my brother and I could have called home as toddlers. A trip to the family home was a real eye-opener. The picture I had built up in my mind's eye from photographs and hazy memories bore little resemblance to this quiet street in front of me. The house now had 6ft brick walls and electric gates surrounding it - far from the open garden new-build my parents bought as their first house.



Unfortunately we only spend 24hrs in Jo'burg but this was for a reason. As we head out of the city towards what was previously known as Eastern Transvaal it soon became clear. Africa is famous for the dominating scenery and wildlife. Even service stations have small viewing ports looking over watering holes filled with White Rhino and Buffalo - it sure beats Newport Pagnell on the M1 that's for sure!!

After a picturesque 3hr drive we arrive at our base for the next two nights. The Chestnut Country Lodge is based just outside of Hazyview on the outskirts of the Kruger Park in the Lowfelds. The lodge is separated into holiday bungalows with some of the most spectacular views I've ever seen. Things get even better when it turns out that I have no need for an alarm on the first morning. Instead we are woken by a troop of monkeys which live in the nearby hills when they wander into the lodge grounds before being chased off by the owners dogs! Tomorrow I'm definitely going to get up a bit earlier to get a few photos of them before we head off for the day.





If the first 48hrs are anything to go by my camera is going to be busy over the next 3 weeks!!

RMC x


No comments:

Post a Comment