Wednesday 19 September 2012

Back to the beginning....

So I thought I would take a look back to where it all began and post a few of my blogs from my original trips, starting with the blog that won me the job in the first place!

“You don’t have to come from Harlem to be a Globetrotter.”

Judgement Day 21-07-2009

I’ve never jumped out of a plane but I’m pretty sure the range of emotions you would experience is very similar to the surreal day I’ve had.  The moment you leave the plane your life changes forever; I’m stood at the open door waiting for my opportunity to jump. My heart is pounding, my hands are clammy and my stomach is tied up in a knot that I never learnt in Cub scouts!

Back in reality I’m still suffering from the heart palpitations and sweaty palms but rather than a plane doorway, I found myself in the reception of the Head Office for lastminute.com. Sitting alongside me are the other shortlisted participants; the nervous smiles and cautious introductions all hide the fact that sitting upstairs is a group of people who can effectively change our lives.

Waiting upstairs for us was the film crew and what can only be described as the ‘Dragons Den’. The ‘Shocking Pink’ branding surrounded us as we each took it in turns to answer the interview questions to the camera. Now, it might be just me - but when you’re told not to look at the camera during an interview - what do you do find yourself doing every few seconds? You look at the camera! Stupid brain!

Struggling through each question becomes a blur, all I want is to be the one in a million that gets the job. Refreshments are brought out to us and I gulped down the water. No one touches the food; I can barely speak let alone eat!

For what feels like a lifetime, we loiter around waiting for our 10 minutes in front of the panel.  Tom, our host for the day, is busy rushing around and lets me know that I’m up second. Inside, my mind is racing. What sort of person are they looking for? What if my mind goes blank when I’m asked a question?

Finally my time comes, I follow Tom through the LastMinute offices with what feels like hundreds of eyes following my every move. Entering the panel room is an experience in itself; I half expect to see Sir Alan or Peter Jones waiting for me. What followed can only be described as a Spanish Inquisition of epic proportions. I had never really thought about what my favourite ‘road trip’ movie was or whom I would most want as a celebrity friend.  I just hope President Obama doesn’t reject my friend request on Facebook!

And then suddenly as if I blinked too fast the interview was over. Leaving the room to smiles helps to raise the weight of expectation I had placed on my own shoulders. I wandered back through to the waiting room and realize; I’m back in that plane doorway again. Now the wait begins. Suddenly, the knot is back in my stomach and my heart rate is rising.
 
Will I get the chance to jump?
 
After I won the job I had to go for a photoshoot in a mansion in Cobham, Surrey (where all the Chelsea players live). It was a weird experience being treated as 'the talent' and I also managed to ruin a £300 suit in the swimming pool but it did produce some cool pics for the newspapers!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment